Monday, January 30, 2012

Crockpot White Chicken Chili

I know, I've been on a crockpot kick lately.  But I'm determined to use it and find recipes that we like and aren't all cream-based soups.  Zak really likes white chicken chili and we've had it once or twice in the past, and I decided to give this recipe from the Better Homes & Gardens cookbook a try.  I changed some of the amounts of the ingredients, and omitted the chili peppers and subbed in some red pepper flakes.  I guess I'll just write down what the book has and in parentheses write what I used today.  Today is going to be rough, smelling it all day, waiting for Zak to come home from work to enjoy it!  I'm planning on serving it with some cheese, broken tortilla chips and a dollop of sour cream on top.

3  15.oz cans white kidney beans (I used 2)
2 1/2 c. chopped cooked chicken (20 oz. before cooking, about 14 oz. after)
1 c. chopped onion -- 1 large
1 1/2 c. chopped red, green and/or yellow sweet pepper (1 yellow & 1 red)
2 jalapeno chili peppers, seeded & chopped (didn't use, subbed in about 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes)
2 gloves garlic, minced (4 cloves/5g)
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. oregano
3 1/2 c. chicken broth (used Pacific Organic Low Sodium broth)

1.  Cook chicken, prep vegetables.
2.  In a 3 1/2 - 4 qt. crock broth, stir together all ingredients, except broth.
3.  Stir in chicken broth.
4.  Cook on LOW for 8 - 10 hours or HIGH for 4 - 5 hours.  Serve w/cheese, tortilla strips, etc. if desired.

Makes about 6 1/2 cups, 1 c. per serving.

fresh from the crockpot

with chips, cheese & sour cream mixed in


Nutritional Facts
servings per recipe: 6
amount per serving

Calories: 319.3
Total Fat: 2.9 g
Saturated Fat: 0.2 g
Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.2 g
Monounsaturated Fat: 0.2 g
Cholesterol: 37.6 mg
Sodium: 1,104.1 mg
Potassium: 269.6 mg
Total Carbohydrate: 41 g
Dietary Fiber: 12.9 g
Sugar: 2 g
Protein: 30.8 g
Vitamin A: 15.2 %
Vitamin C: 98.1 %
Calcium: 13.9 %
Iron: 25.2 %

No comments: