Whoo hoo, 100 posts!
This recipe is a simple and tasty recipe I tried Friday night. I changed the amount of honey to about 3/4 of a cup but added some brown sugar instead. Overall, it was a pretty good meal, the sauce was good. Our only major note was that the chicken ended up a little dry inside and that it was more shredded than we'd like. So maybe next time I'll cut up the chicken breasts a bit before adding them into the crock pot. But, it's a keeper and was so easy and went well with rice and broccoli!
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
salt & pepper
1 c. honey (I used 3/4 c. + about 4 Tbl. brown sugar instead)
1/2 c. soy sauce
1/2 c. diced onion (I used 2 Tbl. minced, dried onion instead)
1/4 c. ketchup
2 Tbl. vegetable oil
2 cloves garlic, minced (I used 1 tsp. dried, minced onion)
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
4 tsp. cornstarch dissolved in 6 Tbl. water
1. Season both sides of chicken lightly with salt & pepper (I just did one side), put into crock pot.
2. In small bowl, combine honey (& brown sugar), soy sauce, onion, ketchup, oil, garlic & pepper flakes. Pour over chicken.
3. Cook on low for 3 - 4 hours or on high 1 1/2 - 2 1/2 hours, or just until chicken is cooked through. I had Zak turned the chicken over about halfway through.
4. Remove chicken from crock pot, leave sauce. Dissolve cornstarch in water and pour in; stir to combine with sauce.
5. Replace lid and cook sauce on high for ten more minutes, or until slightly thickened. Meanwhile, cut chicken into bite sized pieces.
6. Return chicken to pot once sauce has thickened, and toss before serving. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
servings per recipe: 6
amount per serving
Total Fat: 6.3 g
Saturated Fat: 0.8 g
Polyunsaturated Fat: 1.8 g
Monounsaturated Fat: 3.1 g
Cholesterol: 76.7 mg
Sodium: 1,443.9 mg
Potassium: 407.1 mg
Total Carbohydrate: 48.8 g
Dietary Fiber: 0.4 g
Sugar: 45.5 g
Protein: 33.6 g
Vitamin A: 0.6 %
Vitamin C: 5.2 %
Calcium: 2.9 %
Iron: 7.2 %