5 eggs, separated
1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
1 c. sugar, divided
2/3 c. flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
4 Tbl. vegetable oil
6 Tbl. milk
juice from 1 lemon (original recipe called for 1 tsp. lemon extract)
1 Tbl. lemon zest
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Sift flour, baking powder, and salt into a small bowl.
2. Add cream of tartar to egg whites and mix. Add in 1/2 c. sugar once slightly stiff, and continue beating until stiff.
3. In large bowl, add oil in with egg yolks and mix until color is a pale yellow. Add other 1/2 c. sugar, continue to mix.
4. Add in milk, lemon extract/juice, zest and beat until well blended.
5. Add in dry ingredients and mix well.
6. Gently fold in egg whites and mix well.
7. Pour into pan and bake 20 - 25 minutes.
|not the best picture, but you get the idea|