1/4 c. Thai red curry paste
2 - 2 1/2 lbs. chicken thigh fillets, trimmed & cut in slightly bigger than bite-sized pieces
1 c. chicken broth
2 tsp. oil
1 c. sliced bamboo shoots
1/2 c. fresh shiitake mushrooms, halved (we omitted them)
1 Tbl. brown sugar
1 tsp. fish sauce
1 (14 oz.) coconut milk (we used lite coconut milk)
1/3 c. basil leaves
1. Heat some oil in a large frying pan on medium high heat. Cut the chicken up and cook them in batches for 1 - 3 minutes, until sides turn golden. Season with salt and pepper and transfer to slow cooker.
2. Turn heat to low and add rest of cooking oil. Add curry paste and stir for 2 - 3 minutes until it releases a sweet aroma. Add the chicken broth and stir with the curry until it's all dissolved. Add mushrooms and bamboo shoots, pour over chicken and stir until well mixed.
3. Cook on high for 3 - 4 hours OR low for 7 - 8 hours.
4. Combine coconut milk, fish sauce and brown sugar, stir into cooked mixture and cover. Cook for 30 more minutes on high.
5. Stir in basil and serve over rice.