Friday, March 16, 2012

Old-Fashioned Cornbread

I really love cornbread, it's so delicious and textually appealing.  So when I found this recipe, I was pretty excited.  I haven't made cornbread for awhile, and this was calling my name.  But, truth be told, it wasn't everything I had hoped for; it was still pretty tasty, but it didn't exactly hit the spot for me.  But I figure I'd post it for anyone interested.

2 c. corn meal
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
2 Tbl. canola oil
1 Tbl. honey
1 3/4 c. low-fat buttermilk
1 egg, slightly beaten

1.  Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Add oil to an 8" cast iron skillet or cake pan.  Make sure oil is rubbed on sides as well as bottom of pan.  While preparing cornbread, place in oven for 5 - 7 minutes.
2.  Combined dry ingredients in a medium sized mixing bowl.  In a small bowl, whisk together egg, honey, buttermilk and egg; add to dry ingredients and stir just to combine.
3.  Remove skillet or pan from oven and pour hot oil into cornbread mixture, stir.  Sprinkle the bottom of the pan with 1 tsp. cornmeal.
4.  Pour cornmeal mixture into pan, place in the oven on the middle rack and bake 20 - 25 minutes or until golden in color.

perfectly golden browned



Nutritional Facts
serving per recipe: 12
amount per serving

Calories: 123.3
Total Fat: 4.0 g
Saturated Fat: 0.8 g
Polyunsaturated Fat: 1.1 g
Monounsaturated Fat: 1.7 g
Cholesterol: 18.3 mg
Sodium: 241.4 mg
Potassium: 65.2 mg
Total Carbohydrate: 19.3 g
Dietary Fiber: 1.5 g
Sugar: 3.5 g
Protein: 3.5 g
Vitamin A: 1.7 %
Vitamin C: 0.6 %
Calcium: 9.9 %
Iron: 4.7 % 

No comments: