This comes from my Bridal edition of the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook. I found it one day, looking for a recipe that would use up some of the frozen ground beef in the freezer. We really love this recipe, my favorite part is the macaroni noodles!
3/4 - 1 lb. ground beef
3/4 c. onion
1 15- or 15.5-oz. can red kidney beans, black beans, or red beans, rinsed & drained (we have always used red kidney beans)
1 14.5-oz. can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 8-oz. can tomato sauce
*1 4-oz. can diced green chile peppers, drained--I haven't used these, doesn't sound appetizing to me
1 c. dried elbow macaroni (2 oz.)
2 - 3 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. garlic salt
1 c. shredded Monterey Jack or cheddar cheese
1. In a large skillet, cook meat and onion until meat is brown and onion is tender; drain off fat.
2. Stir in beans, undrained tomatoes, tomatoe sauce, macaroni, chili powder and garlic salt.
3. Bring to boiling; reduce heat.
4. Simmer, covered, about 20 minutes, or until macaroni is tender.
5. Remove from heat, add in cheese.