Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Chinese Sundaes / Hawaiian Haystacks

This is a family tradition. We often have it a few times a year, but the most memorable time is at the beach. My family has been going to the same motel, on the same beach, since my dad was a baby. It is one of my favorite places to be! My mom almost always makes this meal for the family, which has now grown to at least 30 of us. It's an ordeal, but it's tradition, too. Zak was wary of this, when I first talked about making it a few years ago. He was hesitant, but being the trusting guy in his woman's cooking that he is, ventured forth and came out a fan. Now every time I mention I'm making Chinese Sundaes, he gets all excited. They are that good. And we don't call them Hawaiian Haystacks, but I guess some people do, so whatever floats your boat. It's a simple meal to throw together, the only thing that takes time and a recipe is the chicken gravy, oh man. It's hard to not dump it all on your sundae because it's so good. Mmm. Well, I'll post the 'order' of the sundaes, as well as the chicken gravy recipe. Enjoy!

1. Rice
2. Chow Mein Noodles (crunchy)
3. Chicken (diced, cooked)
4. Chicken Gravy
5. Tomato (diced)
6. Celery (diced)
7. Cheese (grated)
8. Gravy again (optional, but if you're feeling indulgent, go for it)
9. Crushed Pineapple
10. Green Onion
11. Sliced Almonds
12. Coconut
13. Cherry


the perfect sundae (without celery)

Chicken Gravy

6 Tbl. butter
6 Tbl. flour
1 1/2 c. chicken broth
1 c. milk
salt & pepper to taste

*our microwave is crazy powerful, so I usually cook the recipe starting around 50 or 60% power, working my way up and checking often, so it doesn't overflow*

1. Melt butter for about 1 1/2 minutes.
2. Once butter is melted, whisk in flour; cook for about 1 1/2 minutes, or until bubbly and thicker.
3. Add in liquids, slowly and whisking as you go. Once all the liquids have been added, microwave for 3 minutes.
4. Whisk, cook 2 minutes.
5. Whisk, cook 1 1/2 minutes.
6. Repeat until sauce is fairly thick, or until however thick you want it to be. Salt & pepper to taste.
(this recipe makes about 3 cups)


everything all laid out
close-up

No comments: