Thursday, June 16, 2011

Banana Custard Pudding

So we had some bananas that were getting on the old side. I didn't feel up to making banana bread, especially since we had about a dozen blueberry muffins lying around the house. Then I somehow got the idea for banana pudding, because who doesn't like pudding? And I've made pudding before, so I figured it wouldn't be too difficult. This recipe was only challenging because I wasn't paying enough faithful attention to it, while on the stove. So the texture wasn't what I wanted, but overall, it was pretty tasty. I would definitely cut the sugar amount by at least a quarter or more, because it was super sweet. The original recipe called for basically making a vanilla custard, then adding in sliced banana pieces before serving. We decided to mush and whisk up the bananas with some milk and add it in with the vanilla. Next time, we will blend them up. But, still, yummy!

1/2 c. sugar (like I said, I bet it'd be fine with anywhere from 1/3 c. - 1/4 c.)
1 Tbl. cornstarch
dash of salt
1 1/2 c. milk
3 egg yolks, beaten
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
2 bananas, mushed/blended with a little bit of milk

1. Combine sugar, cornstarch and salt in saucepan.
2. Over medium heat, slowly add milk, stirring until mixture comes to a boil, keeping a close eye on it!
3. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
4. Temper egg yolks by adding a small amount of hot liquid to them, then return all to the saucepan.
5. Cook until thickened, stirring constantly, then remove from heat.
6. Stir in vanilla and bananas, then chill for 1 hour..

Sorry there are no pictures, it wasn't as pretty as I wanted! Maybe next time I make it!

No comments: