Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Macaroni Salad

So, Zak and I have been to the local Hawaiian restaurant here in Moscow a few times. Overall, it's pretty good, but their macaroni salad leaves something to be desired. It's bland, flavorless and needs a decent amount of salt, and makes me sad. Because I love mac salad and Hawaiian food, and it was just disappointing. So I decided to make some myself, using the family recipe. My grandma was born & raised in Hawaii and this is her recipe. I was nervous that Zak wouldn't like it as much as I hoped, because his idea of mac salad is something so foreign to me (involving cheese, tuna, other things? it didn't sound bad, it just didn't sound like what I knew to be mac salad). Well, I worried needlessly, because he devoured this and wants me to make more as soon as possible! Yay! We had this with grilled teriyaki chicken, rice, and corn on the cob. It made me feel like I was home. :)

Here is the original recipe, I cut it in half and it still made a huge bowl's worth. But that's ok, because we certainly did not mind having leftovers!!

Salad
1 package (16 oz.) salad/elbow macaroni, cooked until soft (super soft), drained & cooled
1 carrot, peeled & grated
1 cucumber, peeled & quartered lengthwise
6 - 8 hard-boiled eggs, shelled, cooled & chopped
1 can small black olives, sliced in half

Dressing
1 1/2 c. mayo
1/2 c. milk
1/8 tsp. celery seed
salt & pepper to taste

1. Scoop out/cut seeds out from cucumber, chop into thinly sliced pieces and place into a small bowl. Sprinkle with salt and let sit for a few minutes. Gently squeeze out the water from the cucumbers, discard liquid.
2. Place above ingredients into a large bowl, then fold in the dressing.

mmmmmm
pictures make me salivate

No comments: