Sunday, May 29, 2011

Chicken Salad Croissants

I don't know why I haven't posted this yet, because it is one of our favorites! It's so simple and very tasty, and you will always want extras. It's always sad when it's all gone. Zak and I both like our croissants with both the sprouts and cashews; the sprouts give it a good 'earthy' taste, and the cashews are a wonderful salty counterpart to the sweet of the apples. I made these last night and we devoured them. Guess I'll need to get some more croissants to make another batch-gotta use all those sprouts and cashews up, right? Enjoy!

4 large croissants
2 c. cooked, diced chicken (about 2 half breasts; last night I used about 12 oz., which was plenty)
about 1/2 c. mayo
1/4 c. chopped cashews (I don't know about this amount; since we have Winco, I just go get a small bulk bag of nuts, no idea how much I got, so just eyeball it)
1 small box alfalfa sprouts
1/2. apple (usually a whole apple, depending on size-in my opinion, more apple won't hurt anyone!)
1/2 c. chopped/diced celery (about 1 stalk; we're not big celery people, so I use probably less than this amount)
8 oz. whipped cream cheese, softened a little
1 head leaf lettuce (optional)
salt & pepper to taste

1. In a medium bowl, combine chicken, celery and apple.
2. Add mayonnaise, salt and pepper (to taste) and toss together lightly. Cover and chill.
3. Spread cream cheese on each slice of croissant. Place lettuce leaf (optional, I haven't tried it with lettuce yet) and some sprouts on each croissants.
4. Spoon chicken salad over lettuce and sprinkle with cashews.

I usually lightly cream cheese both sides of a croissant, place a sufficient amount of sprouts of the top half, and a handful of nuts on the bottom half.




No comments: