24 oz. cottage cheese
3 apples (peeled, cored & thinly sliced)
1 tsp. lemon juice
8 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
1/2 c. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
17 1/2 oz. puff pastry, thawed
3 Tbl. sugar (decoration)
1. Place cottage cheese in a strainer lined with cheesecloth or heavy paper towel; pat dry and set aside.
2. Place apples in a bowl, sprinkle with lemon juice to prevent browning.
3. Combine cream cheese, drained cream cheese, 1/2 c. sugar, egg, vanilla in a bowl. Mix with electric mixer for 1 - 2 minutes on medium high, until almost smooth.
4. Preheat oven to 400 degrees, line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
5. Cut each of the puff pastry sheets into 9 pieces, to have 18 total (make sure they are relatively square-shaped). Roll pieces out, one by one, to make about 5 x 5 inch squares. Avoid rolling with too much pressure or over the edges, to ensure they puff up.
6. Place a square in front of you (so it's diamond-shaped). Spoon a generous of cheese filling, leaving some room at the top and bottom edges. Fan out 3 - 5 apple slices in the center. Bring the left and right corners together to meet in the center and pinch to seal.
7. Transfer danish to baking sheet; repeat with remaining pastries. Sprinkle sugar over each bundle and bake until pastry is golden brown, about 20 minutes.
|mine didn't turn out super pretty, but they sure were tasty, warm or room temperature!|