Monday, January 24, 2011

Enchiladas

I love the enchiladas that my family makes. A few years ago, when my brother, cousin and some friends were over for Sunday dinner, I tried to make them. Unfortunately, it did not go as planned, and I ended up turning them into a casserole, layered like lasagna. It tasted good, but kind of scarred me, and I didn't really want to try them again for a long time.

I conquered my fears last month, and made near-perfect enchiladas! They rolled perfectly and everything. Yesterday I made some for the guys as they were working on the car, and they did not come out as I had hoped (the tortillas were a huge pain in the butt), but still, delicious. I realized I haven't updated this blog in like, two months, so I felt I needed to share some recipes. Here is the enchilada one.

Filling:
1 lb. hamburger, cooked with 1 chopped onion (do not drain, loses the flavor)
2 - 3 c. grated cheese
1 can chopped black olives
salt & pepper to taste

Sauce:
1/2 c. oil
1/2 c. flour
1 tsp. salt
1 - 2 tsp. chili powder
3 - 4 c. water

1. Mix oil, flour, salt and chili powder over medium heat, like making a white sauce. When it starts to bubble, add in the water, slowly. Bring to a boil.
2. Dip tortillas in hot sauce, fill with meat, cheese, olives, roll up and secure with a toothpick (or two, or three, depending on how the tortilla cooperates).
3. If desired, sprinkle with extra cheese and sauce before baking at 350-degrees for 25 - 30 mins.

Makes 12 - 14, depending on how packed you fill them. Oh, and we have always used those small, corn tortillas, so I'm not sure how many they make with larger, ones. Zak wants me to try it with a flour tortilla sometime, so we'll see.



No comments: